Friday, 10 July 2015

two days lochside

As I predicted, our holiday got a but busier this week.  After our trip into town on Monday we went to the movies on Tuesday. We went to see The Minions. It was very funny, in that slapstick kind of way. I particularly liked the temporarily dethroned inebriated queen playing darts in the pub. I imagine this is just what she would enjoy. I might be wrong of course.

On Wednesday we packed our sleeping bags and a bag full of food and drove up North towards and past Inverary. I have a friend whose family owns a small cottage. She has invited us many times over the years but we never managed to go. It wasn't a long drive, along Loch Lomond, then crossing over to Loch Long, from there over the rest and be thankful pass towards Loch Fyne. We arrived just after lunch and stayed just until after lunch the next day. We were not terribly active, a bit of frisbee throwing, a few strolls to the beach, chatting and knitting, reading and eating. It was lovely. I was really grateful that we were allowed to spend a day in such a beautiful location. It was very relaxing, apart from the midges. Luckily it was windy, sunny and dry, a combination that is detrimental to those fierce predators. There often are clouds of midges at this time of year. I don't react much to midge bites but James is covered in painful itchy lumps 20 times the size of the actual midge. 

On our way back we stopped in Inverary for a short stroll and a visit to the sweet shop, which is pretty much the most exiting part of town. Later we stopped at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and bought some local oysters to bring home. Richard loves those things. 

And now it is time to let the pictures do the talking.



































We are now back in Glasgow, preparing for a very important day tomorrow: James is turning eight! Two cakes are made (competing siblings), presents are are wrapped and the little boy is washed and in bed, ready to wake up before dawn. 

What are your plans for the weekend? 
Whatever it may be, I hope it does not involve too many boring chores.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks absolutely heavenly. An area I'd love to visit one day. Poor James, I hope those bites go down soon. My other half gets in a terrible state with insect bites, they drive him nuts. Beautiful pictures, I'm glad you had such a lovely relaxing time. I hope James has a wonderful birthday. Hard not to, with two cakes I'd say. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place to stay, it looks beautiful. Happy birthday to James, I hope he has a wonderful day, lucky boy having two cakes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend's place by the loch looks amazing. I'm glad you had a lovely stay there. Poor James-- I hope those midge bites are getting better. Wishing him a very happy birthday! Hope he has a fantastic day and enjoy his two cakes and his presents. Hope you have a lovely weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks gorgeous, apart from the midges. I am a feast for all things bitey, and swell up and itch for days and days afterwards.........
    we had a trip to Loch Fyne a few years ago, in September when it was a bit too chilly for the little bitey beasts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely and the photos are great too - what lovely views! Hope it's a great birthday weekend! We camped in the garden last night and we're out for a meal later to celebrate Grandmother's 80th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos and that part of the world, too. When I was young, we used to go to stay in Inverary with my parents' friends - he was the local bank manager and lived in the Bank House. I loved it - a huge house (to my mind!) with secret staircases and an attic to play in; it always seemed to me like a place of adventures :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor James being bitten! I hope that his birthday takes his mind off it and that he has a great day!! What a wonderful place to go and visit and see your friends, how lovely of them to invite you. It really is a beautiful place isn't it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks blissful. Happy birthday James... I hope his midge bites clear up soon, poor little chap,

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like an amazingly beautiful place. I wondered about the Minion movie, we liked them in the Despicable Me movies but wondered if they would be a bit much in a movie of their own.
    We call midges NoSeeUms and have to spray any time we're outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor James and bleurgh to the oysters but hurrah to the scenery and Loch Fyne and the oyster bar, I remember eating there many moons ago when it was the only Loch Fyne restaurant! Didn't realise back then it would become so fashionable !!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ready to wake? I bet he doesn't sleep & two cakes sounds divine. Your holiday looked wonderful apart from the bites! Oysters yuck, my other half adores them though. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to James.
    We went to Inverary in May, and stayed near Loch Fyne. I love that area so much, Jay was even asking about jobs nearby. We hope to move over the border within the next couple of years so if you hear of any opportunities let me know!
    It does look idyllic, midges aside. Oh, and oysters. Not for me. Never tried them but they just look so very unappetising!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks idyllic, such a beautiful place. Hope the birthday went well and the bites have healed up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What amazing pictures! I would have had a hard time leaving such a beautiful spot. Happy Birthday to James! He'll no doubt long remember this one as the birthday he was covered in midge bites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful views (except for the itchy bites), sounds a wonderful place xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lived in Inverary as a small child, also a few other places in Argyll, and I love it up there. Your photographs make me want to jump into the car and drive up there right now! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, I love to hear from you, I really do. I sometimes reply by email but I am not all that reliable... Christina xx