September … ing
:: Donating blood. I returned to donating in June and hope to be a regular donor again after making excuses for about 11 years. My blood group is on the rarer side of common so always in need. I was rejected for platelet donation. Although in the normal range below the cut-off for donation. I’ll be retested next time.
:: Watching the Chelsea Detective, series 4 and The Wall, series 2. I like the Chelsea Detective because it feels quite wholesome for a crime series. I like the Wall because it is in Canadian French, which intrigues me and since I spent a week in Montreal.
:: Also watching the leaves on the trees turn colourful. I love the colour change but not what follows (winter). I enjoy walking at this time of year because so much is changing and so quickly, it never gets boring.
:: Listening to Under Story by Chloe Benjamin. It was ok but not mind boggling. It is described as a ‘an epid love story and a sweeping odyssey of scientific discovery.’ I can agree with the former but not the latter. The scientific discovery of the dual universe is an interesting premise but logically doesn't work and is a bit annoying. I do love a bit of science fiction but I also like the science in it to be at least vaguely thought through. Also about 300 pages too long. I enjoyed listening to We Chase Shadows by Richard Osman. Fun an fast paced, too. Then I re-listened to Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, which I also liked the second time round. Finally the 11th book in the Department Q detective series by Jussi Adler-Olsen: No Song For The Dead. I have a soft spot for this series, particularly the character Assad.
:: Volunteering twice this month. It is the time of year we we prepare the ground for meadow maintenance.
:: Using my very own scythe to cut the meadow in my front garden. The garden waste bin was too full do do it all but it has now been emptied, ready for more cuttings. I am planning a second sweep for the next time it is dry and I have nothing in my diary. There is still a small patch around the apple tree, too.
:: Sewing very little. I nearly finished a short sleeved blouse using a buttery soft aubergine coloured double gauze fabric. I wanted to make a long sleeved version but didn’t have enough fabric. I made the Gilbert Top by Helen’s Closet. Well, there are still button holes to make, and buttons to attach.
:: Knitting a few rounds here and there, hoping to finish a pair of socks before it gets cold.
:: Looking forward to a week in Turkey, visiting my godmother.
:: Cooking and eating the first wintery dish of the season, a beef stew made with equal quantities of beef, peppers and onions and slowly cooked in the over. Lots of paprika, too. I also made a big pot of Bolognese for the freezer (enough for four meals) and a humongous pot of minestrone to use up vegetables. We were given another large portion of chanterelle mushrooms by a friend, the were delicious sautéed in butter and folded into an omelette.
:: Celebrating two birthdays. The next birthday will be Frankie’s first.
:: On Frankie, continuing his training. He is sweet and responsive and September was a month of great progress. We can now mostly walk past other dogs without him doing a Cujo. He is still excited but it feels more positive. His off lead training is also going well.
:: Spending more money than usual. I had to pay for my sewing retreat, leaving little pocket money for other things. I need winter essentials, like two new merino tops and warm trainers. I quite fancy heated gloves. Also new underwear because a certain little dog likes to take pants and socks from the laundry basket and destroy them.
That’s all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for visiting 😊







You ing-ed well in September.
ReplyDeleteOur daughter's little dog used to steal undies and handkerchiefs out of the clean washing basket or off the clothes airer, too. Our son-in-law is an Outdoor Ed teacher, and used to go away a lot on camps. When he got home, the dog used to punish him for going away by opening his bag (no-one ever did figure out how!), stealing some item of clothing, and chewing on it!
ReplyDeleteCompared to myself you've used September well, I've read a lot and added some rows to a blanket I'm crocheting and thats it!
ReplyDeleteAfter visiting this summer, I wanted to read more Irish & Scottish authors, so currently I am reading the 2020 Booker prize winner, Shuggie Bain. In case you haven't read it, the novel paints a bleak portrait of Glasgow's economy in the 1980s, and an even bleaker portrait of alcoholism, but despite this, the mother-son bond is compelling.
ReplyDeleteSafe travels to Turkey; enjoy your visit.
I read it when it was first published and fell head over heels. It was great until near the ending. You make me want to read it again. Thanks! LOL. a Limner Limning in Texas
DeleteYou have had a busy month, Christina. Donating blood is something I did regularly years ago so may look for a local blood drive in weeks to come, thanks for the reminder. Sorry to read that the new semester has not gotten off to a good start, hopefully it will improve (or not). The stew, Bolognese and minestrone soup are great cooler weather meals and looking forward to doing some soon myself 😋
ReplyDelete