January socks - plain and simple

I love wearing knitted socks and I love knitting socks, too. Socks don't take a whole year to knit, the project fits nicely into a small handbag and the yarn doesn't cost and arm and a leg either.
 

I like to knit socks with an elaborate pattern, lace mostly but sometimes cables, too. Even both if I feel brave. However, wearing patterned socks is not always ideal. I remember hill walking up the Cobbler one year wearing a sock called "Pomatomus" by sock designer Cookie A. The hike was long, the weather warm and at the end of the walk I had the elaborate pattern imprinted into my feet and ankles... agony.


So, sometimes, plain socks are best. I have started my "a sock a month" project with a plain sock, a no nonsense kind of sock. You can download the pattern here, or you can find it on my "sock pattern" page.


If you have knitted socks before, this will be a boring pattern! I think it is ideal for a first time sock knitter. I try to explain all the "tricky" bits in detail and it should be straight forward for anybody with basic knitting skills.

 
You need to be able to knit in the round. This is not difficult at all and I am sure there are some amazing YouTube tutorials if you are not familiar with this technique.


Stitches (sts) you need to be familiar with are:
  • k = knit
  • p = purl
  • sl = slip a stitch without knitting it
  • k2tog = knit two stitches together
  • ssk = slip 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit those 2 stitches together

So go on, give it a try!

I am not reinventing sock knitting. You can use my pattern as much as you like and for whatever purpose you fancy. You don’t need to give me any credit for it.

It has been a busy week on this blog... I am unusually tired and it is only Thursday. I have so much more to share: a long winter's walk, a week of family meals, recipes and tales of wonderfully behaved children. But it has to wait until another day. Enjoy your day, wherever you are. Cx

Comments

  1. So generous of you. I'll know where to go when I finally develop skills sufficient to knit socks. :) Love your toenails, fancy lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know knitting in the round is easy but I just can't get to grips with it, so cheat and knit socks on two needles. Yours look very cosy and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love knitting socks - everyone seems to get worked up by the heel, but they just need a little extra concentration as opposed to the two tubes either side. This year I'm determined to try the magic loop method (instead of double pointed needles) so that I can knit both socks together and get a pair the same size. In theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never knitted socks and I can't see myself trying anytime soon, it looks terrifying to me! But it's something I would love to be able to do, one day. Thank you for sharing this pattern with us, it's very generous of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sock knitting! I tend to stick to basic socks, so don't run the risk of having an elaborate pattern imprinted on my feet. I'm sorry, but it did make me laugh to read about your hiking experience! I wear nothing but hand knit socks all fall and winter. It's what I consider one of my "frugal luxuries."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Christina, thanks for the encouragement for new to sock knitting people like myself to give this a go. I certainly intend to, thank you for this post x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,
    Once I've been on my course they'll be no stopping me :) Thanks for the pattern...I'm hoping to use it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Show more