using up my annual allocation of luck
I’ve been wearing dresses in rotation, very unusual for me. I am generally more fond of trousers but because it was warm and because I keep making dresses, I thought I’d better wear them. So I did. I keep meaning to document my sewing projects. I even purchased a tripod for my phone for that very purpose. Alas.
Last Saturday, I had a scary encounter with wasps while out volunteering. And I mean proper scary. I was scything away, minding my own business, lost in thought because scything has that kind of effect with its rhythmic movement. If you never tried it, I very much recommend it. I must have disturbed a ground wasp nest. One second all was just lovely and the next I was surrounded by what seemed hundreds of very angry little wasps, not the kind you might find on your ice cream, but a smaller, angrier variety. I know they were small because I found one later in my bra and another one in my trouser leg. They were really angry. I must admit to feeling a bit panicky and with scythe not in a safe transport position, I staggered away. I flicked wasps away from my face and in the process sent my glasses flying into the undergrowth. I made my way to the rest of the group, still batting wasps away. Oh, the pain! I was glad to find fellow volunteers (we can be quite spread out when scything Himalayan Balsam). I found calm within myself and steadied my breathing. Being with friends helped. I didn't develop any signs of systemic reaction in the immediate aftermath, which I took as a good sign. I can't actually remember having been exposed to wasp venom previously, which would be a prerequisite for developing an allergy. I only remember two bee stings but bees produce a different venom. Iris was already home but came back with my spare pair of glasses and a box of antihistamines. By then I was confident enough that I was not likely develop a severe reaction. But the pain! I called it a day and went home, escorted to the car by a fellow volunteer, and Iris. I showered, counted the stings I could clearly see (19, not counting those hidden under my hair and those that were confluent) and applied cooling lotion. Did I mention the pain? Three days later, I am still really itchy all over my shoulders and arms (where most stings were). I did experience lip tingling and welts, both slightly ominous signs of an allergic reaction or a reaction to the venom. Hard to say which. Later on Saturday, the teens and I dressed up in our wasp combat gear (rain jackets, hoods up etc) and went in search of my glasses at the site of the wasp attack. I am glad I had almost completed the scything because this helped with the search. We found them, broken beyond repair. I am waiting for a replacement. And yes, I was wearing long sleeved everything, and gloves while working.
In other news, Jack keeps jumping onto desks, tables, the ironing board and the kitchen island the moment you take your eyes of him. Unfortunately, he is not a delicate mover and sweeps stuff off said surfaces. Including my AirPods that know when I sleep and read out text messages in two languages. I found them again in the garden, chewed up beyond recognition (but at least not in a dog’s tummy). I wasn't very hopeful when I called Apple support for repair advice because essentially, the destruction of my AirPods was the result of me leaving them carelessly on my desk. But to my delight, I was told that I had Apple+ cover and that I would get a new set. I must have signed up for that in a moment of madness, or anticipatory luck. Accidental damage interpreted very generously, for sure. The replacement is already here, the chewed up originals on their way back.
I've probably now used up my annual allocation of luck, so will be careful both around wasps and dogs.
Thanks for visiting 😊


Lucky escapes for sure.
ReplyDeleteAll your posts are interesting and as ever a brilliant read. I do admire how you make adversity a readable and engaging read.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
Jill x