August …ing








I’ve gone rogue, not finding time to think about writing a post, let alone write one. But here I am, in time for my monthly catch-up which I rather enjoy because it is a bit of this and a bit of that. Let’s go!

:: Travelling to Montreal and attending a conference, the International Congress of Parasitology. Yes, it is a thing. There were >1400 parasitologists from all around the world. It was pretty intense but also fun. Lots of networking, for sure, and I met a few fans of our podcast who recognised me from YouTube. I always find that a bit disconcerting. I also participated in the pre-conference workshop on parasite diagnostics, to improve my own teaching. There were some fun competitions, I came third in one of them and won the other. Parasite Olympics, pretty cool (and yes, a bit of a niche interest). I won, befittingly, a soft toy parasite. It was exhausting because before and after the sessions I had online meetings with work back home and a lot of pre-term tasks that cannot wait.

:: Exploring Montreal on the two Saturdays flanking the conference. I also skipped a late afternoon session on Wednesday because my brain ceased up with all the learning and networking. I loved the views from the top of Mount Royal (after climbing a billion-trillion steps in the heat of the late afternoon). I explored several neighbourhoods on foot, sampled delicious bagels and I might have stopped at a few fabric shops (being very restraint). I spent a few hours exploring the excellent Botanic Gardens and I visited the butterfly house. I struggled a bit with the unusual accent of the local French but I tried and succeeded sometimes to communicate in French. My hotel room was a sanctuary at the end of every tiring day. There were a couple of days I was too exhausted to eat.

:: But feeling grateful to have the opportunity to attend international conferences and explore the cities where these conferences take place. 

:: Buying a new tent and camping with Richard. We bought the tent early in the month and spontaneously booked three nights on our favourite campsite, Solway View near Kirkcudbright. The tent has inflatable poles and it was very easy to pitch (and take down). This was our first child free camping trip. It was enjoyable and relaxing. Dog walks, chatting, go to the pub and not much else. 

:: Watching series 3 of Bordertown, a Finnish crime drama. I now want to learn to speak Finnish but probably won’t because who would I practice with and when would I find time for it? I downloaded Android from the BBC but have yet to watch it. I am halfway through series 3 of Granite Harbour.

:: Listening to When There Are Wolves Again by E.J. Swift. I enjoyed this very much. It is narrated by Lucy and Hester, the former an environmental activist, the latter a documentary film maker. The novel starts in 2020 and we move forward in time, up to 2070. A poignant read, and worth a try if you are looking for a book to read. I also enjoyed The Road to Tender Hearts by Annie Hartnett, and a two crime novels: The Taken by Martina Murphy and The High Island by Lin Anderson. I have a book group read on my pile next and I am procrastinating over this because I don’t like historical fiction, Lady Tan’s Circle of Women by Lisa See.

:: Reviewing countless applications for the next edition of my main course, starting in September. It never stops to amaze me how such clever people are unable to follow simple instructions, like “upload your degree certificate and a two page CV that includes recent employment history and relevant qualifications.” I don’t want to know about dog grooming experience or the leading role in the primary school nativity play, nor do I have time to read over 12 pages of self-glorification. Also, a letter of exemption from paying council tax because of being enrolled in a university course is not equivalent to a degree certificate. I kid you not. 

:: Eating well, on the whole, with the odd chunk of bread covered in a thick layer of Ovaltine spread and a bacon rasher or two. I ate more bacon in August than in the last 12 months combined. My current favourite breakfast is Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, chopped nuts and seeds. Must keep those bowels moving.

:: Encouraging Iris to cook simple meals. Iris was surprised how easy it is to make fresh pesto, and that adding a handful of green beans, broad beans and sugar snap peas to the boiling pasta for said pesto for the last two minutes of cooking saves pans. Iris and James made a delicious Bolognese sauce together, and a lasagne with it, Béchamel sauce and all. It took all afternoon and I could have done the same in a fraction of the time but experiential learning is more useful than watching someone. 

:: Working on Frankie’s manners. Walking him is tiring but we now can get past the occasional dog without Frankie losing the plot.

:: A long time coming: receiving dates for two appointments for Iris’ neurodevelopment assessments. Twenty two days short of four years after the initial clinical assessment. It has been an exhausting four years during which we could not access adequate support for Iris. I am not sure what to expect but I hope that Iris will be more accepting of who they are. 

:: Hoping for a pleasant autumn. There was a whiff of autumn in the air on those early campsite mornings.

:: Looking forward to resuming ballet classes next week.

:: Sewing a few blocks of my circle quilt here and there. I just felt too tired to sew in the evenings and weekends were quite busy. I cast on a new pair of socks though because I can knit in my sleep. 

:: Volunteering twice in August. Now that the Himalayan Balsam season is coming to an end, we shifted our attention to rhododendron removal. This causes a lot of ecological damage in our landscape. For example it blocks light from reaching the woodland floor which prevents native tree seedling regeneration and kills of understory plants. The rhododendron leaf litter is acidic and decomposes slowly, lowering the soil pH and disrupting nutrient cycling. The roots and leaf litter also release compounds that actively inhibit germination of other plants. We cut it back, then dig up the roots. Trunks that are too big to be dug up get plugged to kill the roots from the inside. Eco-conservation is hard work. 

:: Wondering how many more colleagues will go off sick over the next few months. These recurring absences test the resilience of those of us still standing. 

:: Soaking the BIAB overlays from my nails with acetone and patience. I haven’t seen my natural nails in over a year but I can confirm that they are strong and healthy. I’ll keep them natural for a few weeks, to free up pocket money for new runners. 

That’s it all I think. Thanks for visiting 😊


Comments

  1. I knew you were in Montreal, when I saw the Leonard Cohen Mule, and then I saw the bagel, and then I saw the views from Mount Royal. I was up there a lot when I was a kid back in the well mostly the 50s.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, I love to hear from you, I really do. I sometimes reply by email but I am not all that reliable... Christina xx

Labels

Show more