July ….ing








I don’t like how quickly time passes. I do not. July has been good, on the whole, with some lumps and bumps. And wasp stings. 

:: Recovering well from my unfortunate wasp encounter, although I am still itchy, a week later. I thought I’d show you one sting as experienced on Thursday (five days after it happened). My optician was able to replace the frame for free, how lucky is that? I have been a loyal customer for 20 years and I think this played a role. 

:: Celebrating an entire month free of major Iris drama. Quite possibly the easiest month in a year. I’ve probably jinxed it now but it did want to mark this moment. 

:: Watching “Granite City” on the BBC iPlayer. It is difficult to not binge watch and I am trying very much not to. I am also watching the Great British Sewing Bee. I am enjoying it so far. I am not sure I would enjoy sewing under pressure… glad I can stitch without cameras following me, and no clocks ticking either. 

:: Sewing a dress and a blouse. Both most enjoyable. For the blouse (Patina Blouse by Friday Pattern Company) I used one of my Paris fabrics, a white Broderie Anglaise. The dress (Mabel Dress by Tilly & the Buttons), is playful with shirring and made with a summery sorbet stripes cotton seersucker. I saw the fabric at the Stitch Festival in March but didn’t buy and then regretted it almost immediately. It took some time to find the fabric online but it arrived while we were on holiday. 

:: Listening to a good selection of books. I gave up on The Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I just couldn’t get into it, although it is very well written. I am not keen on the short story format. The Tailor by Tim Sullivan (book 8, DS Cross mysteries). I enjoy this series, a solid police procedural. Mad Mabel by Sally Hepworth. I liked the current day thread of this book but Mabel’s past made me uncomfortable. I admit to asking Claude what happened and then skipped those chapters. also listened to Voyagers by Meg Charlton. I finished but only because I wanted to know how it ended. It was not very challenging, nor particularly well written. I just started The Road to Tender Hearts by Annie Hartnett and find it delightful.

:: Holidaying on the Assynt. It was wonderful to be away for a few days and relax into the slow days. Leaving the teens at home was a good decision, even though it meant coming home to a filthy house.  

:: Planning a wee camping trip.

:: Eating cherries as often as I can. Strawberries and nectarines, too. Best time of year for my favourite fruit. I like golden kiwis as well but not every day. 

:: Complaining about James’ attitude. He is quite possibly the laziest teenager the world has ever seen. He doesn’t work, can’t be bothered looking for a job and thinks it is ok if Richard and I work our socks off, provide food and shelter and comfort, walk the dogs and keep the house clean. He can’t be bothered helping out and he can’t be bothered communicating with us. 

:: Cooking simple foods. Plenty of courgettes in the garden, so courgette fritters, risotto with roasted courgette, creamy courgette soup (that was Richard). I also have tons of parsley but I am not sure what to cook with that. I might chop and freeze it. 

:: Spending two Saturdays volunteering. We swept through Dawsholm Park clearing all large patches of Himalayan Balsam. I think next week is our last change for a final sweep, then it will be too late. 

:: Recording three podcasts. It can be tiring to keep up with current literature and prepare my special segments. I started a new series, parasite of the month. Search the internet for that one and be wowed: Leucochloridium paradoxum. 

:: Knitting a pair of socks (slowly). Frankie likes my knit bag very much. I invested in carbon needles because he chewed up too many wooden ones. 

:: Making slow progress with Frankie’s training. Some days I feel more patient than others. His testicles are nearly the size of his wee head, and he probably produces more testosterone than he needs and soon it will be time to visit the vet for his neutering. He can be very sweet but also exceptionally annoying.

:: Spending time with friends (walking dogs, hiking, chatting, drinking coffee…)

As I said, a pleasant month all in all. Thanks for visiting 😊



Comments

  1. Oh, I think the Granite series is the one that I want to see, but I can’t get it here. I see these posts on FB and then am disappointed. I have a need for British mysteries (I think that is the one, or maybe it was Granite Harbour), but my streams do not provide all that I wish. I am so hard done by. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm relieved to hear that you're recovering from your wasp experience. And I hope it hasn't put you off volunteering.
    Congratulations on a pleasant month overall. I just hope James hasn't taken over from Iris. Teenagers! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you're recovering and celebrating a drama-free month. Fingers crossed for smoother sailing. We are enjoying the cherries too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From far away, from Istanbul, I read your words with a deep sense of shared feeling. I suppose that, in the end, the universe embraces all of us in much the same way. Home, children, books, TV series, nature—and, of course, all the absurdities of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satisfying. Thanks for sharing. Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to read that July was overall a good month Christina, aside from annoying wasp stings. I listed to Mad Mabel as well and rather liked the tale. I also like the DS Cross mysteries by Tim Sullivan and have a couple on my "to read" list. We also like courgettes, zucchini here, and roasting is a big favorite and so simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tabbouli is great for using up a great deal of parsley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, I love to hear from you, I really do. I sometimes reply by email but I am not all that reliable... Christina xx

Labels

Show more