wardrobe essentials 2026 - blue denims and a ruffled blouse







I've written this post a while ago and forgot about it.... I’ve had two hair cuts since and the plum tree in my neighbours garden, then bare branched, is now carrying fruit.

Anyway, I am enjoying my garment sewing skills very much. I've come a long way from making simple t-shirts to making jeans, blouses and dresses, which I don’t have enough opportunity to wear. Today I am showing you two favourite makes, the Oxbow Pants by Sew House Seven and the Carnation Blouse by Fabric Godmother. I don't love the word "pants" because here in the UK, pants are undies. But I love the pattern, so much so that I made a second pair with postbox red denim purchased in Toronto. 

The Oxbow jeans are sewn with a non-stretch denim, probably about 11 oz weight. I didn’t make any changes to the pattern, the fit is just fine, although a smidgen loose around the waist. I didn’t take any notes either but I don’t remember any major issues with the sewing. The instructions are clear and there is a blog post on the Sew House Seven website with lots of photographs of all the steps involved, for those moments of doubt. My approach to sewing what might seem difficult is one seam at the time. I don’t try and think ahead, just follow the instructions one step after the other. I wear these jeans all the time. All my jeans are me-made now, which is immensely satisfying. 

The blouse was a pattern that I fell in love with the moment it was released. I had this pattern in mind when I bought fabric in Malaysia. It is a fine shirting cotton with a chambray weave. I really love sewing the gathered frill around the sleeves and the collar. I am not keen on gathering in general but with a stable cotton, it is not difficult, just time consuming. I wore this blouse to the Stitch Festival and so many people recognised the pattern, which was fun. I visited the Fabric Godmother stall and found sample Carnation Blouses on their rails. I was able to see how this would look with different types of fabric. I wanted to make a white one but have since made two other white tops and really don’t need another one. Maybe next  year. 

I wish I had written a slightly more detailed post back then because now, I can’t remember much. I always think I should take notes when sewing but in reality, I am too lazy. Anyway, I didn’t want to waste a perfectly good blog post and the photos speak for themselves.

I have my tripod up because I was filming a short video for my new YouTube channel. Well, not mine but one for work. I might take some more photos tomorrow of other garments I made. Watch this space 😊

Comments

Labels

Show more